The test site is located on US 52 between the junction with US 231 and Cumberland Ave, Lafayette, IN. The length of the project is about 5 miles long with two lanes on each direction. The existing pavement structure is 6″ of HMA on top of 7″ of concrete pavements. The existing pavement will be milled for about 2″. A 19-mm intermediate HMA layer and a 9.5-mm HMA surface layer will be constructed on top of the milled surface.
Monday, September 21, 2009 – Thursday, September 24, 2009
- Roller Shipping: Shipping address: 2868 US Hwy 52 W., West Layayette, IN 47906. Contacts: Ken Walschlager of Milestone, cell-(765)-969-8177. By Friday, Sept 21.
9:00AM to noon, Thursday, Sept. 24
Session 1 – 9:00AM to 11:00PM – Indoor Presentation (INDOT/Superpave Center, 1205 Montgomery Street, West Lafayette, IN 47906)
Session 2 – 11:00PM to noon – Field Demonstration (INDOT/Superpave Center, parking lot)
RSVP by Sept. 22, Contact Ruth Calish, firstname.lastname@example.org, (512) 451-6233
INDOT Host contact: Tommy Nantung, email@example.com, (765) 463-1521 ext. 248
- FHWA/TPF Intelligent Compaction Project – by Dr. George Chang (Transtec Group)
- Bomag Intelligent Compaction System – by Dave Dennison (Bomag America)
- Sakai Intelligent Compaction System – by Todd Mansell (Sakai America)
- INDOT IC Demo and Prelim Results – by Dr. George Chang (Transtec Group)
- Trimble GPS System – by Pete Kaz (Trimble)
Attention Participating Roller Vendors – participating IC rollers should be equiped with RTK GPSreceivers. The GPS requirements for IC rollers are described here.
The material type is FHWA/TPF Type IV HMA material.
- Sakai double drum IC roller
- Bomag double drum IC roller
- Demonstrate HMA IC technology (specifically in tracking rollers passes and HMA surface temperatures) to INDOT personnel, contractors, etc.,
- Evaluate the benefits and effectiveness of IC Rollers,
- Assist INDOT in the development of IC quality control (QC) specifications for HMA pavement materials, and
- Identify and prioritize needed improvements and further research for IC equipment.
Meetings and Reports
Photos and Videos