This test site is located on eastbound 340 from Mt. Zion Road to the Jefferson Street Bridge, in Frederick County, MD. This project is a milling and overlay with a gap-graded SMA with PG 76-22 binder (including 10% RAP). The construction will be at night times starting approximately 8PM.
Monday, July 20, 2009 – Friday, July 24, 2009
- Roller Shipping: Shipping address: F.O. Day’s Frederick Asphalt Plant, 4120 Buckeystown Pike, Frederick MD 21701. Contact: Larry Warfield, (301) 343-5652. By Friday, July 17.
- Attention Participating Roller Vendors: the GPS requirements for IC rollers are described here.
10:00AM to 3:00PM, Thursday, July 23
Session 1 – 10:00AM to 12:30PM – Indoor Presentation (MD SHA district 7 office, 5111 Buckeystown Pike, Frederick, MD 21704)
Session 2 – 12:30PM to TBD – Outdoor Demonstration
- Overview of the FHWA/TPF Intelligent Compaction (IC) project and the MD SHA Demo, by Dr. George Chang (Transtec Group)
- Bomag IC system and recent findings, by Dave Dennison, Time Thuline, and Jurgen Wagner (Bomag)
- Sakai IC system and recent findings, by Stan Rakowski (Sakai America)
- Trimble GPS technologies for highway applications, by Mike Windsor (Keystone Precision)
Type IV HMA material
- Bomag tandem drum IC roller
- Sakai double drum IC roller
- Demonstrate HMA IC technology (specifically in tracking rollers passes and HMA surface temperatures) to MD SHA personnel, contractors, etc.,
- Evaluate the benefits and effectiveness of IC Rollers vs. conventional rollers,
- Assist MD SHA in the development of IC quality control (QC) specifications for HMA pavement materials, and
- Identify and prioritize needed improvements and further research for IC equipment.
Meetings and Reports
- Conference call on April 6, 2009. Meeting minutes.
- Web meeting on June 24, 2009. Meeting minutes (updated, 7/8/2009).Meeting presentation slides.
- Experimental Plan (outdated draft – project location is changed -, 6MB, 5/28/2009, refer to the Summary Field Sheets instead)
- Summary Field Sheets (7/13/2009)
- Final Report (draft report, 22 MB, 9/11/2009)
- Dan Sajedi, MD SHA, DSajedi at sha.state.md.us, 410-321-3081
- Gloria Burke, MD SHA, GBurke at sha.state.md.us, 443-386-9266