The IC demonstration site is located at US 84 in Wayne county, MS. This project is a 4-mile long new asphalt construction with two lanes in each traffic direction. The top 6 in. of granular (sandy) subbase will be treated with ~5% cement as the MSDOT 9C chemically treated granular material.
Monday, July 13, 2009 – Friday, July 17, 2009
- Roller Shipping: Shipping address: MDOT Waynesboro Project Office (about 3 miles from the start of the project). 6716 Highway 184, Waynesboro, MS 39367. Contact: Mark Smith (601) 735-1122. All IC rollers should be shipped to the above address by Friday, July 10.
- Attention Participating Roller Vendors: the GPS requirements for IC rollers are described here.
10:00AM to 3:00PM, Thursday, July 16
Session 1 – 10:00AM to noon – Indoor Presentation (Waynesboro Auditorium, 1008 Benton St., Waynesboro, MS 39367-2461)
Session 2 – 1:30PM to 3:00PM – Outdoor Demonstration (the US 84 field site)
Randy Battey, MSDOT, 601-359-7650; Scott White, MSDOT, 601-410-4032
- Overview of recent findings of the FHWA/TPF Intelligent Compaction (IC) project, by Dr. George Chang (Transtec Group)
- Update on ISU-involved IC research projects, by Dr. Pavana Vennapusa (ISU)
- Caterpillar IC system, by Candace Young (Caterpillar)
- Sakai IC system and recent findings, by Stan Rakowski (Sakai America)
- Case/Ammann IC System, by George Whitaker (Case)
- GPS technologies for highway application by Trimble and etc., by Tams Mullins (SMS)
- GPS technologies and machine control by TopCon and etc., by Tim Houchens (Earl Dudley)
- Type V – stabilized base material (MSDOT Type 9C material)
- Type IV – asphalt material (secondary – as a “mini-demo”)
A “mini-demo” may be conducted for the Type IV asphalt materials. It is treated as a separated demo from the full blown demo.
- Caterpillar single drum padfoot roller
- Case/Ammann single smooth drum roller
- Sakai double drum roller (for mini-HMA IC demo)
- Demonstrate IC technology to MSDOT personnel, contractors, and the highway community at large,
- Help MSDOT accelerate the development of IC quality control (QC) specifications for subgrade soils (cement treated granular material) materials,
- Develop an experienced and knowledgeable IC expertise base within MSDOT, and
- Identify and prioritize needed improvements and research for IC equipment.
Meetings and Reports
- Briefing at TRB 2009 on 1/14/2009
- Conference call on 2/26/2009
- Web meeting on 3/23/2009 (meeting minutes)
- Web meeting on 5/13/2009 (meeting minutes)
- Conference call on 7/7/2009 (meeting minutes)
- Experimental plan (draft, 5.6MB, 5/13/2009)
- Summary Field Sheets (7/7/2009)
- Final report (14MB, 4/24/2010)
Photos and Videos
- Randy Battey, MSDOT, randyb at mdot.state.ms.us, 601-359-7650,
- James Williams, MSDOT, jwilliams at mdot.state.ms.us
- Scott White, MSDOT, scwhite at mdot.state.ms.us, 601-410-4032