Current US state DOT compaction specifications
Current state DOT compaction specifications generally focus on the following objectives:
- Construction operations: Lift thickness, roller specifications, rolling pattern, temperature range, visual observations, etc. May be based on data collected from test beds.
- Finished properties: Density or voids (based on a nuclear gauge or pavement cores), and strength or stiffness (based on cores or other field tests).
Asphalt IC Specification
IC concepts and capabilities for asphalt materials were developed later than those for soils and aggregates. Asphalt compaction is complex: in addition to requiring a different roller configuration, asphalt is temperature-dependent and the possibility of damaging the material is greater. Developing specifications for asphalt pavement materials involves considering the varied approaches of several roller manufacturers. At the moment, different manufacturers’ versions of IC technology vary greatly in availability and sophistication. For example, some IC rollers track only asphalt mat temperatures and the number of roller passes—however, the benefits from just these features alone can significantly improve asphalt compaction.
Specifications for IC of this material type should be flexible enough to utilize the benefits of all available rollers. The capabilities of dual-drum IC rollers are expected to evolve over the next few years, so specifications must be able to evolve as well.
United States National Guidelines
- FHWA Generic Asphalt IC Specification (2010-2013)
- AASHTO IC specification (for both soils and asphalt—2013 draft)
United States DOT Specifications
- Alaska DOT (2013 Sitka airport project)
- California (2013)
- CFL HD (2012)
- EFL HD (2013)
- Georgia DOT (2012 special provision)
- Iowa DOT (2010-2013 special provision)
- Massachusetts DOT (2013)
- Nevada DOT (2013)
- Pennsylvania DOT (2013 draft special provision)
- Rhode Island DOT (2013 draft)
- Tennessee DOT (2013)
- Utah DOT (2013 draft special provision)
- Vermont Agency of Transportation (2011 special provision)